Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bi-lingual Dreams

Saludos a mi gente!
     Lately, I've been enjoying a strange mezcla of English and espanol in my dreams.  The characters will sometimes speak in English to me and I will answer back in Spanish, or, like last night, my "voiceover" narrator is projecting his official, wise voice, but in Spanish.
     I'm wondering if any or all of you second language learners have been able to manipulate this phenom into a learning experience, for example, by training your mind to go to less familiar territory and therefore gain vocabulary practice?
     When I was studying to be a cartoon writer in college, the best thing about the experience was that my dreams became like "Roger Rabbit," with animated and real-life bits included.  All kinds of crazy things happened, and one of the scariest portions of the dreamworld, mortality, became obsolete.  How can a cartoon die? (The Dip!  The Dip!!  Poor shoe...)
      I have also noticed that on days after this class, my dreams reflect the process of opening and closing windows.  I have discussed with others the strange effect that hypertexting and links have on the mind as well.  
      If the great ideas of progress stem from dreams, and what we do in real life effects dreams, what can we all be doing today to make the world a better place in the future?  See you in Dreamland...

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of someone studying to be a cartoon writer. It certainly beats law school. And I envy you having a subconscious so receptive to your waking life.

    ReplyDelete