Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Where All are Welcome

I spent last Saturday night in Dodgertown - where more than one sign informed me that "All are Welcome."  As I looked around at the extremely diverse crowd I was reminded again how much sports can unite people.  
As a born and bred Phoenician I have loyalty issues rooting for the Lakers (Go SUNS Go!), but I went away to college long before the DiamondBacks were established, so I have no qualms about rooting for my new hometown team.
When traveling, I highly recommend discovering the local favorite team and stopping in a neighborhood bar for some friendly chit chat about the players, the history of the franchise, even the game itself.  It worked wonders for me in New Zealand and allowed conversations with craggy old beer drinkers who were more than happy to discuss the finer points of their country's rugby rules.
While religion and politics can often divide people, sports talk - even the most heated rivalries - give people a chance to approach strangers and bond over something that, for me, is much less superficial than smog, traffic or the weather.  
When you're a sports fan, you wear your team, and to an extent, your heart on your sleeve.  Everyone knows when you're going to be up (big victory!  buzzer beater!) or down (slump, the Rival emerges Victorious).  I guess the point for me has always been that you are daring to stand up and root for something, along with thousands of strangers and friends all over the world.  
Hope to see you in Dodgertown soon...
B.C.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it fantastic how a sports game does unite people from diverse ethnicities and backgrounds? Outside of sports, the last time I saw such a phenomenon occur was watching the telecast of Obama's victorious and decisive win in November and then his inauguration in January, where people of all colors, age, and walks of life convened to support the manifestation of such a miracle and blessing for the country.

    Funny how you brought up New Zealand, which I'm terribly fond of and where I'm visiting again next month during my vacation. Fortunately, I'll be seeing NZ's pride and joy, the All Blacks rugby team, duke it out with some rival team in Wellington. Can't wait for what promises to be an exciting match, where the only thing that mighter garner more attention from a foreign travelor like myself might just be seeing how the fans react in support for their much beloved team.

    ReplyDelete